Sunday, October 10, 2010

Social networking sites

What was the target audience for this social networking site?
The African American community.
How long was the site in existence?
It started in 1999 and is still strong. According to New America Media.com it has over 14 million members.
Why was it popular? What was its demise?
It is popular because it appeals to reader’s interest and not only that of the website producers. It has dating, job searches, news stories, friendship opportunities and forms that focus on what the online community is positing. I don’t see any demise in its past or future.
Is/was there another competitor in the same market that was more popular?
Asian Avenue had more users in 2000 and has since dropped due to making free features a premium service that required users to pay.
Would you ever consider creating an account and using it? Explain your reason using a personal experience as an example.
I would not. I took a look at Blackplanet, Asian Avenue and MiGente all sister sites. I feel that all are racial. They all talk about other sources being stereotypical and racist, however when they all plainly and boldly say their website is for a certain race or culture than that is racist no matter what color it is. Just because it is not white does not mean it is not partial and racist. Oh sorry I got carried away for a moment. My personal experience as an example would be, well I don’t have any really. I once had a face book account and canceled that because it was pointless (my opinion of course). All my friends were ones I saw every day, well except for some creeper who knew the very exact second I dis-friended (my new word) him. My friend that moved to Chile whom I talked to on the phone anyway. Face book did not seem geared to one specific race or culture.

2 comments: